When you’re yearning for stress relief and relaxation, you may be thinking about getting a massage. There are many different types of massage services, but if you want something gentle, a hot stone massage may be right for you.
A hot stone massage uses heated, smooth stones and massage techniques to relax your muscles and relieve soreness. Flattened volcanic basalt stones are often used, as well as Himalayan salt stones. If you’re thinking about booking this service, let’s go over what to expect as well as the many advantages of a hot stone massage.
What Should I Expect During a Hot Stone Massage?
Before a massage, talk with your therapist to discuss your comfort level. Include any medical conditions or sensitivities you may have so they can customize your massage. They may have you fill out a confidential questionnaire or client profile form to ensure you get the most out of your appointment.
Massages often take place in a relaxing environment. Soundscapes, low lighting and essential oils and aromas could be included. If there are any features you don’t want present during your massage, simply inform your therapist and they’ll adjust their approach.
When ready, you’ll lie down on a massage table or bed. The heated Himalayan stones will be placed on specific areas and points of your body. This could include your face, palms, stomach, chest, spine and feet. The heat will be warm but gentle, encouraging muscle relaxation.
Throughout your appointment, the stones will be delicately moved around your body and worked into the muscles with light pressure. This can be combined with massage techniques, such as kneading, circular movement and vibration to enhance your experience.
Your appointment will typically last around 75 minutes. Afterward, your massage therapist can give you aftercare instructions and advise you on how often to schedule regular appointments.
What Does Hot Stone Massage Help With?
Massage is an easy way to support your overall wellness. Besides relaxation, it has a variety of benefits, including:
- Stress management: Stress is a natural part of life, but chronic stress can lead to many health issues. The heated stones and gentle pressure of a hot stone massage encourage the release of endorphins, promote stress relief and may reduce anxiety.
- Muscle tension and pain relief: The smooth, heated stones help relax your muscles and alleviate tension throughout your body. This can be part of your pain management regimen and also contribute to athletic recovery.
- Decrease in cortisol levels: Cortisol is the stress hormone that, when elevated, can cause a variety of health issues. Hot stone massage decreases stress, which balances our cortisol levels.
- Improved flexibility: When our muscles and joints are stiff, they have trouble moving around comfortably. Since hot stone massage encourages muscle relaxation, it promotes flexibility and mobility.
- Increased circulation: The combination of heat and movement from hot stone massage encourages blood flow by helping our blood vessels expand. Since oxygen and nutrients are carried through our blood, they’re better delivered throughout the body when blood flow and circulation increase.
Relax & Rejuvenate With a Soothing Hot Stone Massage
Our trained massage therapists are here to make you feel your best. Whether you crave full-body relaxation or want to soothe your muscles, our healing approach will revitalize your spirit and replenish your energy. Book your session today by calling us at 1-844-ISL-DRIFT or make an appointment.